Sarasota Gun Company provides incoming transfers of new and used firearms for our customers. Sarasota Gun Company will accept firearms from both Federal Firearms License (FFL) dealers and private individuals with the proper documentation. All transfers are processed Monday thru Friday in the order in which they are received.
*** Sarasota Gun Company policy requires purchasers of firearms to be U.S. citizens or have a valid and up to date Alien Resident Card
Sarasota Gun Company Transfer Fees
From an FFL: $15 fee (background check fee included)
From private individual: $30 fee (background check fee included)
Sarasota Gun Company TRANSFER POLICIES
- For the efficient processing of incoming transfers, it is vital that the receiving customer’s name and contact number be included with the firearm(s). Transfers received without the proper information content will be assessed an additional administrative fee of $25.00/per firearm, set aside and processed when time permits.
- Please note that receiving a delivery notification from UPS/USPS/Fed Ex DOES NOT mean that the item(s) is ready for pickup. All transferred firearm(s) will be available for pickup ONLY AFTER the customer has been contacted by one of Sarasota Gun Company Transfer Agents OR if you call and verify it is ready for pick up. We will notify the customer by whichever form of contact is given to us. If there is no answer, a voice mail will be left and a note will be placed on the customers file. Transfer agents will only make 1 attempt to contact the customer and it is up to the customer to follow up.
All incoming transfers will be processed in the order that they are received. Transfers are only processed Monday – Friday. Our transfer agents strive to process transfers within 48hrs of receipt (weekends & holidays NOT included), however this is not always possible during high volume periods.
- Customers have 30 calendar days to pick up transferred firearms, unless other arrangements have been made between the customer and the Store Manager. Customers that have not picked up by the 30th day will be assessed a $10/per-day storage fee PER FIREARM until either the firearm has been picked up or the value of the firearm or the cost of labor has been reached. Once the storage fee exceeds the cost of labor and/or the value of the firearm, the firearm(s) will be considered abandoned and will become the property of Sarasota Gun Company. See abandoned firearms policy below:
- abandoned firearm policy.
Transfers from Private Individuals
- In addition to the receiving customer’s name and contact number, ALL transfers received from Private Individuals MUST have a readable copy/picture/scan of the sender’s valid State driver’s license with their current physical address on it, and a current contact number. It is your responsibility to make sure that the seller/shipper is aware of this before shipping your transfer. Transfers received without the proper information content will be assessed an additional administrative fee of $25.00/per firearm, set aside and processed when time permits.
Picking up Your Transfer
To pick up your transfer you must have the following:
- A valid Florida driver’s license or any issued Florida State ID with your current physical address on it, as required by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE)
- Other acceptable proof of Florida residency such as: Florida motor vehicle registration, Florida voter registration card, Florida hunting or fishing license.
- FDLE requires a 3-5 day waiting period (excluding weekends and holidays), depending on county of residency for pickup of all handguns, rifles and shotguns, unless a valid Florida Concealed Weapons/Firearms License is presented along with the aforementioned IDs.
TRANSFERS / RETURNS FROM CUSTOMER TO MANUFACTURER FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS
- All NEW firearms purchased at Sarasota Gun Company are covered by Sarasota Gun Company one year warranty policy, which states that Sarasota Gun Company will handle all warranty claims on new firearm purchases at no cost to the original purchaser during the first year of ownership. That means that should there be an issue with the mechanical workings of the firearm, Sarasota Gun Company staff will take in the firearm, contact the manufacturer and return the firearm to the service department for repair. All armorer, transfer, shipping and handling costs will be covered by Sarasota Gun Company.
- If the firearm is not under Sarasota Gun Company warranty program, or was not a new purchase at Sarasota Gun Company (transferred in firearms do not count as purchased), and the firearm owner requests Sarasota Gun Company to ship the firearm to the manufacturer, the following charges may apply
- Transfer Administrative Fee $25 member
- Shipping Fee $40 handgun $25 long gun
- Factory Repair Charges WILL VARY
Note: these charges cover Sarasota Gun Company Staff labor, shipping and handling costs.
- To avoid the above charges, the first effort by the firearm owner should be to contact the manufacturer on their website under customer service or contact links and follow the direction provided.
- Most firearm manufacturers will issue a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and supply packing and shipping instructions to the customer. Some may even provide a shipping label allowing the firearm owner to pack and ship the firearm themselves.
- Some firearm manufacturers will supply the above and direct the customer to take the firearm and paperwork to an FFL to handle the transfer and shipping. This does not exclude possible charges to the customer for Sarasota Gun Company Staff time and labor.
- Select few firearm manufacturers will ship the repaired firearm directly back to the owner’s place of residence, however, the majority will require the firearm to be returned to the owner through an FFL dealer. Charges for Sarasota Gun Company staff time, labor and transfer fees will apply in this instance.
- There is no background check required when returning a repaired firearm back to the owner, however, if the firearm is a new replacement from the manufacturer in place of the original firearm sent in for repair, the transfer costs, 4473 paperwork, and background checks do apply. Replacement of firearms is completely at the discretion of the manufacturer.
- Turnaround times for repairs vary between manufacturers and are completely BEYOND THE CONTROL of Sarasota Gun Company. Typical repair times differ from a minimum of 2-4 weeks to 8 weeks or longer. Most repairs are covered under the manufacturer warranty, however some manufacturers offer limited warranty and have costs attached for repairs. It is the customer’s responsibility to communicate with the manufacturer and our Staff and understand possible costs for repairs of their firearms.
If a firearm is transferred to another FFL and the background check is either denied or decision pending, the purchaser is responsible to pay that FFL the shipping fees associated with that firearm to send it back to us. The purchaser is also subject to a 25% restocking fee based on the original purchase amount.